A Bit Bookish

The name's Luna.
24/Los Angeles/wannabe blogger & researcher
Just another freak in the Freak Kingdom.
A place for me to ramble about books I love... also probably the only blog I'll ever have that will keep its theme. I don't want my page to be a mess so I'm only going to shelve books starting with what I've read in the past year.
I'm not always eloquent, and I'm certainly not pretentious. I am just a huge nerd who lurks in used bookstores and likes to read and do research for fun.
Geeks unite.

'Sherlocking' - the basics (pt.2)

So we’ve briefly covered learning how to ‘pay attention better’ and how to overcome our biases in order to properly observe. The next step is applying what you already know to your observations.

When deducing, there’s a lot you have to be able to quickly recall. Remember, we only know what we can remember at any given point. When you’re Sherlocking on your own (i.e. researching body language, helpful facts, observation skills, etc) and you need to remember something the best thing to do is to make it come alive, the way Sherlock does when he ‘goes to his mind palace’ in The Hound of the Baskervilles episode.

image

It seems silly, but making a fact come alive with stories and gestures is much more effective than just repeating it to yourself over and over. The more cues, the more likely retrieval will work. If you’ve ever had to cram for an exam you may have used this technique without even realizing it- I remember I would often have to resort to reading a note card out loud in a funny voice in order to retain certain facts my brain was just refusing to take in.
(I’m going to make a separate post about mind palaces later since they’re pretty advanced, imo. Also there’s already a lot of helpful posts about them, like the one where I found the above .gif, which can be found here.)

When practicing deduction, always have a goal. No one can pay attention to everything, all the time. It will take years of practice to be anywhere near an actual Sherlock level of observation, so for now it’s important to pick specific things to observe. For example, you may want to figure out if someone you’ve just met is right or left handed. Focus on the details that you think will help you figure that out based on the knowledge you already have.

I just started Sherlocking a few weeks ago, and already I am noticing that I’m better at consciously directing my attention and I’m able to pick up on body language more easily. Basically all I’ve been doing is searching the internet for tips, reading Mastermind, and practicing.
I think the best practice to start off with is to pick something to notice each day. For example, one day I decided I was going to look for red shoes- I saw 12 pairs walking from one end of the mall to the other. It sounds stupid but simply being aware like that instead of having your face in your phone is really great beginning practice.

So hopefully I did an alright job of putting together an introduction to Sherlocking. I know this blog is supposed to be only for bookstuff so I wont post too much more about deduction on here, but I thought it was neat enough to share... and I got most of my information from Mastermind anyway, so it works.
Thanks for reading! <3