A Bit Bookish

The name's Luna.
24/Los Angeles/wannabe blogger & researcher
Just another freak in the Freak Kingdom.
A place for me to ramble about books I love... also probably the only blog I'll ever have that will keep its theme. I don't want my page to be a mess so I'm only going to shelve books starting with what I've read in the past year.
I'm not always eloquent, and I'm certainly not pretentious. I am just a huge nerd who lurks in used bookstores and likes to read and do research for fun.
Geeks unite.

Murder Your Darlings - J.J. Murphy

I'm going to make this really quick and informal- I've put off this review too long and now it's just bugging me. Here's the synopsis from the back:

On this particular morning, legendary wit Dorothy Parker is not the one under Manhattan's famed Algonquin Round Table. Someone else is-- and he's not dead drunk, just dead.

When a charming aspiring writer from Mississippi named Billy Faulkner becomes a suspect in the murder, Dorothy decides to dabble in a little detective work, enlisting the help of tablemates Robert Benchley, Alexander Woollcott, Robert Sherwood, and other famous and fabulous literary cohorts.

With a marvelous Manhattan mystery on their hands, it's up to the Algonquins to outwit the true culprit-- preferably before cocktail hour-- and before the clever killer turns the tables on them...

This book was a lot of fun! It read a bit like a fan fiction, but with a literary angle. J.J. Murphy is a long time fan of Dorothy Parker and you can sense how much fun she had writing the story. She does a really good job of building her interpretation of Dorothy and of making her a very likable main character. Murphy captures the wit of the time period perfectly, but at times I felt that the jokes were almost too numerous. Then again, I don't know much about the interactions between the members of the Round Table and seeing how they were writers maybe they were able to keep up a constant witty repartee. Anyway, I enjoyed all the interactions between the Round Table members and I loved the scenes of prohibition era parties and quick glimpses of New York City during one of its most magical periods. I thought that the writing was smart, but it took a little longer than I had hoped for me to get interested in the mystery. Because it lagged a bit I ended up putting it down for a long time, but I think that the second book will be a bit more polished as far as the story goes, and I'm looking forward to continuing the series.
As far as quick paperback mysteries go, it's definitely worth checking out, especially if you're a fan of Dorothy Parker, New York in the 20's, or mysteries with a somewhat cozy vibe. Great for a rainy day or a long afternoon in a waiting room.

The Two Towers