A Bit Bookish

The name's Luna.
24/Los Angeles/wannabe blogger & researcher
Just another freak in the Freak Kingdom.
A place for me to ramble about books I love... also probably the only blog I'll ever have that will keep its theme. I don't want my page to be a mess so I'm only going to shelve books starting with what I've read in the past year.
I'm not always eloquent, and I'm certainly not pretentious. I am just a huge nerd who lurks in used bookstores and likes to read and do research for fun.
Geeks unite.

"The faculty of deduction is certainly contagious, Watson."

— feeling nerd
Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes (Paperback) - Common - by Maria Konnikova

So, you guys might perhaps be aware that I'm a pretty big fan of Mr. Holmes. :] A second stab at the stories alongside watching BBC's Sherlock led to a bit of an obsession with his adventures as well as his method of thinking, which led me to purchase Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes by Maria Konnikova. This book is incredibly fascinating- it shows that thinking (somewhat) like Holmes is within the realm of possibility, but beyond that it explains how normal human beings can benefit from his methods in everyday life.

"Deduction" as Sherlock practices it, is actually really good brain exercise. It can be helpful when looking for jobs, meeting new people, or assessing an unfamiliar situation. A lot of Konnikova's advice also seems like it would be helpful for those struggling with ADD. The whole idea behind the book is to "learn to pay attention better"-- to not let your mind get clogged with all the distractions of our modern world.

While reading Mastermind, I began scouring the internet for related information on "the art of deduction", and I found a lot of helpful stuff. I've been meaning to keep up my 'Sherlocking' posts, but moving across the country kind of got in the way- it takes a lot of mental energy to practice deduction and write blogs about it. :] Currently, my boyfriend has the book on tour with him, so it'll be a month or so before I can continue. So, this isn't a review. BUT I did make these really cool posts (or at least I think they're really cool) on my tumblr and I wanted to share them. They sum up the basics of 'Sherlocking' and most of what I have learned (and retained) so far. They look way better on my tumblr, so I'm just going to post the links:

'Sherlocking' - The Basics pt. 1

'Sherlocking' - The Basics pt. 2

Even if you're not a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, this stuff is pretty neat! Within the posts are links, those lead to a reference page (sidebar link #5). I'm working on getting it more organized than that but it's hard. I'm proud of what I have so far, though!

Thanks for reading, guys.
xoLuna

SH Tags: peek/a wild sherlock appears/hello/sherlock/102/i heard you summon me

Looking for a particular Sherlock reaction gif? This blog organizes them so you don’t have to deduce them out.

[image source]